PARKER, Colorado (CBS4) – After apparent arsonists damaged a significant section of the Fright Acres haunted house last week, the owner decided to reopen the attraction.
Fright Acres owner Steve Petalas said that despite the most elaborate part of the attraction being reduced to ashes on Monday, they decided to resist it all.
“It’s the love of Halloween, of the community, of the employees, of the family,” said Petalas. “Taking my ball and coming home isn’t usually my game plan.”
South Metro Fire Rescue officials said they believed two people set part of the haunted house on fire early in the morning, causing approximately $ 50,000 in damage. Authorities are still trying to locate people who may have started it.
“It’s overwhelming to come and see this every day. It’s a little frustrating having to stay here and think about how much we’ve lost inside, ”said Petalas. “It would be nice if they were adults and took ownership of what they did, but you know I doubt they would.”
Petalas said they decided to reopen because for many in the community, Fright Acres has become a staple.
“They’re used to us being here, they come to us every year, they support us every year, and the show has to go on, as they say in show business, right?” he said.
Although the walk through the haunted house is a bit shorter for visitors, there is still a lot to discover on the farm. The Fright Acres team are hoping to recoup some of what they lost in the show’s final days.
“We’ve got some really good actors and some really good scares,” Petalas said. “There are still a few nights left, and you just have to make the most of a bad situation, move on, save and do it.”
Currently, tickets are at a reduced price. The Haunted House will remain open until Halloween night. Firefighters said if anyone has information on the perpetrator of the fire, they are urged to contact South Metro Fire.