Maritime Shorts: Approved oysters, herring fishery, NOAA funding

0


Shellfish farm approved for oysters

SORRENTO – The Commissioner of the Department of Marine Resources, Patrick Keliher, has approved the request of a local shellfish farm for oyster farming in the Bay of Flanders.

Late last month, Keliher signed Acadia Aqua Farms’ request to add American and European oysters to a plot near Waukeag Neck in the bay off Sorrento. The 14-acre site was previously approved by the DMR to harvest mussels by bottom culture. Since Acadia Aqua Farms, which is also a pioneer in Frenchman Bay scallop farming techniques, was going to use the same method as the original application, there was no material change to the original rental decision. , according to the DMR decision.

Reopening of herring fishery possible

ARLINGTON, Virginia. – The Atlantic Herring Management Board last month set the Atlantic herring quota for 2022 in the inshore Gulf of Maine area and may reopen the fishery this year.

The council set an annual catch limit of 1,184 metric tonnes for 2022 for the area and voted to continue using a shoulder season model.

Approximately 73 percent of the quota will be allocated for the June to September season and the remaining 27 percent will be available for the October to December season.

In April, the catch limit for 2021 was set at 1,453 metric tonnes, with some postponement from 2019. The directed herring fishery in Maine has been closed since August because fishermen quickly caught up to council limits, but it may reopen after recent news from the New Brunswick dam fishery.

The 2021 annual catch limit received an additional 1,000 metric tonnes based on the postponement of the Canadian fishery, and the herring council has called a “day trip” meeting this week to consider allowing more fishing.

Herring is a popular baitfish for lobster boats, but as the species is considered overfished and quotas have been tightened, they have turned to other species such as the menhaden.

Project Downeast receives funding from NOAA

BEAUTIFUL – The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration‘s Sea Grant and Ocean Acidification program has awarded more than $ 2.4 million to support projects that will examine stressors and the potential for building resilience in the growing shellfish industry.

A Downeast project was among the four that were selected for the funding opportunity. Researchers at the Downeast Institute in Beals, Hancock mussel farmer Evan Young and a Bangs Island Mussels from Portland received $ 413,240 for a project that will test the effectiveness of various alternative diets in building the resilience of blue mussels to acidification and warming. The project would also test an interaction between improved diet and protection of seawater at both laboratory and commercial scales.

“Marine bivalve aquaculture is a growing industry in Maine, but early stage bivalves are considered to be the most vulnerable to ocean and coastal acidification and other environmental stressors. », Indicates the description of the project. “Despite the evidence that dietary restriction will interact with (ocean acidification and warming) to decrease the state of bivalves in the wild, to date no study has reversed this premise to test whether the improved diet can improve the resilience of bivalves … in the hatchery. “


Share.

About Author

Leave A Reply